IronMind's Apollon's Axle: not just the original—it debuted in 1994—but the best known and most widely used thick bar in top-tier strongman and grip competitions.
Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift Rules
- A genuine IronMind Apollon's Axle must be used, along with full-sized plates (discs) that are the standard IWF/IPF diameter (450 mm). The Apollon's Axle must be wiped clean before each attempt.
- The plates must either be calibrated or can be weighed on a proven scale.
- In contest situations, the lifter is given 1 minute to complete the lift after his/her name is called; during that minute, there is no limit to how many times the lifter may try to complete the lift.
- No grip aid other than chalk is allowed. Ordinary chalk (magnesium carbonate) may be used on the lifter's hands, but nothing else is permitted (liquid chalk, for example, is specifically disallowed).
- The Apollon's Axle must be gripped with the knuckles on both hands facing forward (away from the body) with a double overhand grip.
- Thumbless and hook grips are prohibited.
- The lifter must fully straighten up (back erect, legs and hips locked out); once standing straight, the lifter must maintain control of the lift for 1 second before getting a down signal from the referee, and must then return the weight to the ground. Contact must be maintained between the lifter's hand and the Axle until the weight is resting on the floor. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed or not.
- IPF powerlifting rules define the key guidelines: resting the Axle on the thighs or any downward movement will disqualify the lift, as would failure to await the down signal or dropping the bar. A sumo style is permitted and the feet may move after the lifter has received the down signal.
See also IronMind's grip contest rules for extra attempts.
Apollon's Axle World Records
Men's Double Overhand Deadlift
|Carl Myerscough||December 16, 2022||237.5 kg (522.5 lb.)|
|Igor Kupinsky||December 22, 2019||236.10 kg (520.51 lb.)|
|Mike Burke||January 20, 2013||235 kg (518.09 lb.)|
|Mike Burke||January 20, 2013||230 kg (507.06 lb.)|
|Rich Williams||June 26, 2010||228 kg (502.65 lb.)|
Women's Double Overhand Deadlift
|Lyudmila Gaiduchenko||March 2, 2019||137.9 kg (304 lb.)|
|Lyudmila Gaiduchenko||December 15, 2018||135.65 kg (298 lb.)|
|Lyudmila Gaiduchenko||May 6, 2018||133 kg (293 lb.)|
|Lyudmila Gaiduchenko||March 24, 2018||132 kg (291 lb.)|
|Amy Wattles||July 13, 2014||131 kg (289 lb.)|
|Amy Wattles||June 30, 2013||130 kg (286 lb.)|