Yesterday, along with the competitors, IronMind® received the official seven-page description of the rules and events for Fortissimus, with the priviso that the information could not be released until today; a summary follows.
"It will be the ultimate contest with the strongest men on the planet meeting at the summit," Paul Ohl told IronMind®. "One super athlete will be Louis Cyr's legitimate successor and become the Mightiest Man on the Planet." IronMind® | Image courtesy of Paul Ohl and the Louis Cyr Museum.
1. Sigmarsson Wheels Deadlift (bar at 19 inches off the ground; 775-800 pounds (352-364 kg) for repetitions) and the Dinnie Stone One-Hand Deadlift (325-pound/148-kg replica lifted with one hand for reps): both are done for reps
2. Overhead Power Medley: 275-pound (125-kg) "Louis Cyr long bar iron-cast barbell;" 2 x 150-pound (68-kg) "Louis Cyr spherical dumbbells" simultaneous clean and press/push press; 340-pound (155-kg) log clean and press, push press or jerk; 350-pound (159-kg) Apollon Axle replica clean and press, push press or jerk. This is followed by a 300-pound (136-kg) log clean and press, push press or jerk for repetitions.
3. Yoke Race: 850 pounds (386 kg), 30 meters.
4. Louis Cyr Crucifix (2 x 45-pound/20.5-kg dumbbells) and Frontal Hold (2 x 35-pound/16-kg dumbbells); hold for time with best total time winning.
5. Pyramid of Strength: medley consisting of Husafell stone replica (400 pounds/182 kg carried 20 meters); loading four barrels with handles (350 pounds/159 kg, 400 pounds/182 kg, 425 pounds/193 kg, 450 pounds/205 kg); power stairs with a 450 pound/205 kg weight up five stairs (15 inches high).
6. Monferrand Back Load-Carry: four sandbags (from 325 pounds/148 kg to 400 pounds/182 kg), 15 meters each.
7. Hip and Thigh Lift: 900 pounds/409 kg for repetitions. "Weight may increase to 1,000 pounds (455 kg)."
8. Louis Cyr Power Walk: 320-pound/145.5-kg spherical dumbbells out (25 meters) and 340-pound/155-kg spherical dumbbells back (25 meters).
9. Louis Cyr One-Arm Press Challenge: right and left arm, press or push press 150-pound/68-kg "Louis Cyr Spherical Dumbbell" and same thing with right or left arm, 165 pound/75 kg, 175 pound/80 kg, 190 pound/86.25 kg, 205 pound/93 kg.
10. Five Atlas Stones: 250 pounds/114 kg (carried on shoulder for five meters and then loaded), 275 pounds/125 kg (carried on shoulder three meters and then loaded), 300 pounds/136.5 kg (carried two meters on shoulder and then loaded), 325 pounds/148 kg, and 350 pounds/159 kg. This is followed by loading five natural stones: 350 pounds/159 kg, 375 pounds/170.5 kg, 400 pounds/182 kg, 450 pounds/205 kg, and 517 pounds/235 kg.
"It will be the ultimate contest with the strongest men on the planet meeting at the summit. One super athlete will be Louis Cyr's legitimate successor and become the Mightiest Man on the Planet," Paul Ohl told IronMind®. "We proudly announce that Zydrunas Savickas, Andrus Murumets, Benedikt Magnusson and Travis Ortmayer have confirmed their participation in FORTISSIMUS 2008. The field of competitors has been increased to twelve participants and the total prize money will be increased accordingly."